Gynecomastia surgery, or male breast reduction, is a procedure designed to relieve men from the embarrassment, weight and discomfort of what many call ‘man boobs’. This condition of excess breast tissue in men may not affect a man’s health, but it can subject him to ridicule from peers. A masculine figure is defined by a flat, contoured chest, and men who naturally carry extra tissue here are often put down for their more feminine-looking shape. This condition is not exclusive to men who are overweight; it can affect men of all shapes and sizes.
In more extreme cases of gynecomastia, the areola may be stretched and the breasts may even begin to sag. Male breast reduction can solve both concerns, reducing the amount of breast tissue in the chest and adjusting the size and position of the areola. This surgery can give you confidence and a whole new sense of self with a strong, masculine figure.
Should I Consider Gynecomastia Surgery?
Not all men are candidates for gynecomastia surgery, although this condition affects many. There are alternative treatments for gynecomastia, including modifying your diet and fitness, which should be tried before opting for surgery. You should consider male breast reduction if:
- Your condition does not respond to alternative treatments or lifestyle modifications
- You suffer from excess breast tissue and feel discomforted by the physical appearance of your chest
- You are in good health and do not smoke cigarettes
- You have realistic goals for surgery and results
- You are not severely overweight and your body can handle the stress of surgery and recovery
- Your breasts are not still growing
Although young men and adolescents are often good candidates for male breast reduction, it is likely that another procedure will be required later in life if breast development continues.
How Can a Male Breast Reduction Benefit Me?
There are many benefits associated with choosing gynecomastia surgery that extend beyond the obvious physical changes you will experience. These may include:
- Confidence: Men who opt for gynecomastia surgery experience benefits immediately, standing with their chests a bit taller and walking with more confidence in their new figure. As a condition that really affects the way a man sees himself, it is a major change in self-esteem to have the breasts removed.
- More Contoured Figure: The newly instilled confidence may have something to do with a new set of toned pecs! Male breast reduction gives men a more masculine shape, with a flatter chest that looks like it was built in a gym.
- Relief from Ridicule: Most importantly, gynecomastia surgery can offer men and boys relief from bullying and rude comments from other men and women. There is no longer a need to feel embarrassed to go to the beach or to simply live in your own skin.
Initial Consultation with Dr. Husam Elias
During your initial consultation, you will be able to meet with Dr. Elias and discuss all of the details that go into the gynecomastia reduction. He will go over your surgical procedure, explaining what happens each step of the way. You will have an opportunity to ask any questions you have and learn about the recovery time for this procedure, for ease of scheduling and to ensure you are fully prepared ahead of time.
Every surgery also comes with risks, for any person. Dr. Elias will be sure you know about any complications that may be associated with this surgery. Although male breast reduction is a very safe procedure, your medical history will play a role in how your body reacts to surgery.
During the Gynecomastia Procedure
There are several techniques that may be employed for your surgery, depending on how much tissue is present in your chest. If you have significant excess fatty tissue, liposuction may be employed to remove such tissue and restore your chest. In a surgery that requires only liposuction, very small incisions are made and healing is very simple.
If your condition is more defined by glandular breast tissue (rather than fatty) and excess skin, a larger incision may be needed and the procedure will be done without liposuction. With this technique, the areola is typically reduced to fit the proportion of your post-surgery chest.
If your gynecomastia requires both liposuction and excision of excess skin, a combination of both procedures may be done. Your surgery will be customized to your condition, and Dr. Elias will explain the full details of your surgery before you decide to schedule the procedure.
Recovery and Post-Operative Care
Immediately after your surgery, you will be fitted with compression dressings to manage your swelling and help maintain the new shape of your chest as it heals. You may also have drainage tubes placed for the first day of recovery. You will need to schedule follow-up appointments with Dr. Elias to monitor your healing progress and ensure no harm has come to the wound.
Because every body heals differently, you will be given specific instructions for care as they pertain to you. Generally, healing from male breast reduction lasts 4-6 weeks, during which you should avoid strenuous physical activity and heavy lifting. This is a time you should reserve for rest and proper healing. The first few days may require you to enlist the help of family and friends to provide you with meals, transportation and support, as you may feel very weak. Be sure to prepare ahead of time for the ease of your recovery!
If you have any additional questions or would like to schedule your consultation with Dr. Elias, call us at the Southern California Center for Surgical Arts, Los Angeles’ premier cosmetic plastic surgery clinic:(818) 696-4425.